Mihai Eminescu Park
The former public garden of Varnav, built in 1869, keeps a few contemporary trees with Mihai Eminescu, who in the last part of his life carried his steps along the wide alleys, drawn among the trees of various species. The park preserves the artificial lake that once was possible to ride a boat, and in the kiosk in the middle of the holiday park, sing the military fanfare. Here was placed in 1932 the bust of Mihai Eminescu executed by the sculptor Ion Georgescu, a monument that was placed in 1890 in front of the Marchian school.
`Whoever enters this city, bringing with it no matter how little Romanian literary history and remembering some poems loved in his youth, feels secretly enveloped by the shadow of Eminescu’s poetry. Illusion or truth, it seems to you that there is an unquestionable connection between the soft, patriarchal and patriarchal appearance of this corner of the world and the mirage of Eminescu’s recall.` – Gala Galaction – Romanian writer
Memorial House of Nicolae Iorga (Romania historian and important political figure)
Organized in one of the childhood homes where the great historian Nicolae Iorga was born and raised. It is an exceptional exhibition space that includes the testimonies of his life and activity, a library containing several hundred of the historical, literary and memorial works signed by Nicolae Iorga. “Nicolae Iorga” memorial house in Botosani is located on the street with the same name at no. 14, at approx. 100 m from “Mihai Eminescu” Boulevard, near the National College “A.T. Laurian “. The museum building is a house built in the style of the Moldavian architecture, dating from the second half of the nineteenth century (ante 1850), a historical monument. The original building, with walls of the spider, was demolished in 1965. The current building underwent several modifications over time: the roof was replaced with shingle, the concrete pillars were replaced with wooden poles (1967-1975). The last rehabilitation works were carried out in the period: October 2010 – May 2011, and cost 300,000 lei, money granted by the Botosani County Council.
Memorial Museum Octav Onicescu
Located on 24, Octav Onicescu, the Museum was founded on 8 October 1995 to present elements of the life and work of the mathematician and philosopher Octav Onicescu. Unfortunately, in 2006 it was abolished due to the retrocession of the building in which it was sheltered. Furniture, manuscripts, letters and even decorations or family pictures were exhibited in the premises, which were brought back to public attention in autumn 2007, when the Botosani County Museum organized an exhibition of the objects it could take . Octav Onicescu was a Romanian mathematician, founder of the Romanian School of Probability Theory, and gave him a new axiomatization with the help of the notion of “event function” or “sum function”
County Museum Botosani
Historical monument, whose building dates back to 1913, with the initial prefecture destination of Botosani County. Since 1977 it is organized as a museum of history, representing a mirror of the historical evolution of the area of Botosani County. The building was built in the period preceding the First World War after the architect Petre Antonescu’s project. The museum has the following sections:
- The Art Museum owns works of painters from Botosani County or who have spent part of their life in this region
- Stefan Luchian Art Galleries
Mihai Eminescu County Library
Historical monument, whose building dates back to 1913, with the initial prefecture destination of Botosani County. Since 1977 it is organized as a museum of history, representing a mirror of the historical evolution of the area of Botosani County. This body of the County Library is the former headquarters of the Branch of the National Bank of Romania, finalized in 1926. The library is on Calea Naţională no. 64.
It is the oldest part of the city from the architectural point of view, which houses a large number of commercial buildings dating from the sec. XVII-XVIII. The foundation of Botosani is lost at the dawn of the Romanian Middle Ages: the settlement was born in the last decades of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century, on the site of another locality. Chronicler Grigore Ureche records the fair in his work Letopiseul Ţării Moldovei: “Write to us that in the year 6947 (1439) November 28, tattooing trusts entered the country and they burned down to Botosani and burned the Botosani market” . Therefore, this November 28, 1439 must be taken as the official act of founding the Botoşani.
The church of Botosani
The church of St. Nicholas, Popauti – Botosani, founded by Stefan cel Mare and Saint dates back to 1496 and has its interior paintings of great value and original character. It was placed in a strategic position determined by the enemy invasions of the enemies attracted by the riches of the Botosani fair. For this reason, the actual buildings of the monastery were added to its walls and a watchtower, giving it the appearance of a true fortress. The façade of the building is made of striated brick strips and colored ceramic discs, ornaments with geometric, faunistic and heraldic motifs, and the interior painting dates back to the 15th century.
The Church of St. George Domneasca – Botosani, raised by Elena Rareş, dates from 1551 and feels the influence of Stefan Voievod’s foundation.
The Church of St. Elias – Botosani has its beginnings in 1778, as the Church of the Guild whool and fur craftsmen, renowned in the world of Botosani craftsmen.
The Armean-Gregorian Church of the Holy Trinity – Botosani, built in the 16th century. XVI, impresses with architectural, sculptural and archeological specific religious values. It was rebuilt in 1795 and renovated in 1832.
Roman Catholic Church The birth of St. John the Baptist – Botosani, built in the middle of the 19th century. XIX in the neo-Gothic style, happily ennobles the Botosani landscape.
The Lipovan Church – Botosani, the current building of the church was built on an old wooden chapel in 1853. An authentic center of religion and culture, besides the church is a school of ethnic Lipoveni. She has beautiful Russian icons, old books and splendid artworks.
Other tourist attractions
Building of the Mayoralty – Botosani, edifice built at the end of the sec. 18th Eclectic style of German influence. It is restored between 1906-1914, and in the middle of the 19th century. XVIII, the building becomes the seat of the Court where Mihai Eminescu worked as a cop during October 1864-March 1865.
The County Museum (Ethnography Section) – Botosani, the building is a valuable architectural monument dating back to the end of the 19th century. XVIII and representing the house of Manolache Iorga, grandfather of the great historian Nicolae Iorga Mihai Eminescu State Theater Botosani, the building was inaugurated in 1914, then destroyed during the bombing in 1944 and later rebuilt in 1958 and in the 90s.
The State Philharmonic – Botosani,
the Philharmonic building, Vila Ventura was Built at the end of the sec. XIX in neoclassical style.
Antipa House – Botosani, building built in eclectic style of French inspiration at the end of the sec. XIX. Here was born the great biologist Grigore Antipa and his brother, naturalist Nicolae Leon.
The Silion House – Botosani, dates from around 1900, and harmoniously combines several architectural styles (French eclectic, art nouveau). It is placed in the middle of a garden with a fountain, and the main entrance is framed by statues.